web analytics
Home | SAN ANTONIO | Spotlight | Spotlight - Vicky Hansen, Hansen Screen Company

Spotlight - Vicky Hansen, Hansen Screen Company

image The walls of Vicky Hansen’s office at Hansen Screen Company are covered in posters and pictures from their adventures on a film set or ringside at a wrestling match.

SAN ANTONIO - If you look up Vicky Hansen on the Internet Movie Database (IMDb), you’ll find credits for her as an actor, director, and producer. If you go to see a wrestling match put on by Branded Outlaw Wrestling, she’ll be the show runner. And if you walk into Hansen Screen Company, she’s simply known as “Mrs. Boss.”





At 61 years old, Hansen co-owns the business with her husband, Clint Hansen, but she runs operations for the company. She spent five years working her way up to that affectionate – and accurate – title, which she took on around 2010. Having become very comfortable in the business, she has come a long way to get here, and she and Clint stay quite busy, both in and out of the office.

Where did you grow up?
    I grew up in a small Indiana town. We actually had a Dunkirk address, but I went to school in Redkey. I didn’t graduate high school. I dropped out. We lived on a farm and I got bored with it really. So, I helped on the farm, and later I got my GED.
    Being a farmer’s daughter, we had lots of animals, which was my favorite thing. We had plenty of pigs, chickens, ducks, and cows. Daddy primarily raised Black Angus cows, so lots of beef. We
grew the hay for the cows, the oats for the chickens. If you’ve never been to Indiana, it’s very flat and perfect for farming.

How did you end up leaving Indiana?
    My mother was southern. She was raised in Tennessee. So, she and Daddy had always discussed that when they retired that they would move to Tennessee, and so that’s exactly what they did. I was 20 at the time.
    It was a gradual move. My sister was still under age at the time, so she moved down first. She and Mom went down first and got the place, and Daddy and I packed up and took stuff gradually and had to sell the farm.
    Mom’s family being in Tennessee in a little town called Monterey, which my sister still lives in – that’s where we spent our summer vacations. We had a lot of family there. And Daddy bought another smaller farm outside of town. It wasn’t that much different. He just didn’t raise anything except hay for the cows, goats and chickens.

How long were you in Tennessee?
    From 1975 to 1988. In 1975, I married my first husband, and that didn’t work out. We were only married about two years. And then I met my kids’ dad, and we got married a year later, and we have two boys. They both live in Alabama.
    I’m actually a widow. We did the “’til death do us part” thing. He died when the boys were small. It’s just one of those things. It was 1987 when he died.
    We stayed another year, and I met a guy. He worked road crew, and he had two brothers that lived in Alabama. So, we moved to Alabama with him, and he worked road crew. The boys are still in Alabama, but I was in Alabama from 1988 to 2000.
    There, I worked at home. For the longest time, I sewed those white suits – clean suits. I had a sewing machine and I did those at home for a company out of Decatur, AL. That allowed me to stay home with the kids. So I was a stay-at-home but working mother at the same time.
    Then, in 1998, they decided to move the plant to Mexico, and I had to find another job. It happens, and so, I went to work for Walmart. I did stocking on third shift where you restock the shelves in the full store overnight – which was also good, because I would be coming in as the boys were getting up for school, and at this time, they were teenagers. So, I didn’t really have to worry about them all that much.
    I’d spend a few minutes with them, go to sleep while they were at school, and then get back up when they were home. So, I was still a semi-stay-at-home mom.

What came next for you?

    In October of 2000, I moved out here. I had a very bad breakup with the guy I was with, and I wanted to get as far away as possible, and Walmart had an opening out here at the 1604 and 281 Nacogdoches Store. So, I transferred out here. My oldest son was with his first wife at the time – he stayed in Alabama. But the youngest one was only 16, so he came with me.
    That was a big change. I had never lived in a city, not even a town. We’d always been country. And I just absolutely fell in love with San Antonio. We were over at Canyon Oaks Apartments, and it was close to work. I worked, and my youngest got a job, and we lived there for about a year. And I met Clint in December 2001.

How did you meet Clint?
    Online in a chat room. We’re one of the first people that actually met that way. In 2001, you didn’t have eHarmony and all that. Everybody was in chat rooms. We got to talking and figured out we were only like four miles apart. And that was Dec. 3. We’ve been together ever since.
    We actually got married on Dec. 4 –because we couldn’t get the 3rd – in 2005. We’ve been married almost 12 years. That was the same year, 2005, when he brought me in here, which he really resisted at first. We had a lot more guys working here at the time, and he was a little unsure how the guys would take him bringing me in. But it all worked out.

And now you run everything!
    Yes [laughs]. Pretty much. But I didn’t start here. I actually started in the very back of the shop, breaking down the old screens. I started at the bottom and I pretty much do everything in the shop now.

Have you installed screens too?

    No, they leave me here. The guys go out and do all that. Besides, I’m not really good with heights. I don’t think me and a 40-ft ladder would get along [laughs].

Tell me more about your boys.

    The oldest one is Robert, and his wife is Trina, and they both work at a car parts manufacturer. She boxes the parts, and then he picks them up with the forklift and takes them to whatever section they need to go to. My youngest is also with the car parts manufacturer. His name is Jerry, and he’s actually the night manager at the plant.
    Robert has three kids, one boy and two girls. Jerry also has three kids, all very rambunctious boys. I have six grandchildren, and the oldest one will be turning 18 this fall. I never ever thought I would be old enough to have grandkids that are grown [laughs], but I’m getting there.

You have a lot of pursuits outside of work. Tell me about your hobbies and interests.
    The first thing we started with – Clint saw an ad on CraigsList for a local director who was making a continuation of the movie “Warriors,” and that is absolutely his favorite movie ever. So, we showed up for the audition.
    I didn’t audition, because I wasn’t interested in acting, but he got a part for a character called Hatchet, and somehow during the filming, since I was the only person there old enough to remember the ‘70s [laughs], I got to do hair, makeup, wardrobe and consulting to keep it accurate to the ‘70s.
    That’s how I got started in that. He’s done several other movies – I don’t even know how many – and I’ve always gone along, and I have actually been in 9 or 10 movies as bit parts, because I happened to be on the set, and they say, “We need an extra” or “Somebody didn’t show up – can you say this line?”

That’s great! What other things have you done outside of work?
    We sponsored one of the local bands for a while. It was Wounded Souls. I don’t think they’re together anymore. But that was quite fun, because all the kids were 16 and under. I think they were between 12 and 16. It was fun to go out and see them play. They were really good. In fact, they auditioned for “America’s Got Talent,” but they didn’t make the final cut unfortunately. But they were good enough to get an audition.

What made you want to sponsor the band?
    We’re good friends with one of their dads, Ray Aikens, who actually got us started in the wrestling.

Tell me about your love for wrestling.
    I have been a wrestling fan since I can remember. My dad, besides farming, had a full-time job, so I always helped on the farm. My sister was more with Mom doing the household stuff, the cooking, whatever. But my dad loved wrestling, and he always made time on a Saturday night to watch whatever wrestling was on that night.
    That’s some of my best memories – sitting next to Daddy, sharing a Coke, watching wrestling, him explaining to me who the wrestlers were and the moves and all that kind of stuff. That’s where it started, and I’ve always watched wrestling since then.
    So, when we met Ray, he was working for another promotion, and he had an idea for Branded Outlaw Wrestling. So, he put the first BOW Show together and we went to it. We thought, “Hey, this is pretty cool!” and asked Ray, “Do you need any sponsors? Do you need any help with this?”
    We helped – sometimes it would be money, sometimes we would buy a turnbuckle cover or ring bell or whatever was needed last minute. The big plus was that we always got ringside seats and got to meet the wrestlers, which was really cool. Actually, some of the coolest wrestlers here in town still wrestle for us.

Are you still part of Branded Outlaw Wrestling today?

    Heck yeah, we now run Branded Outlaw Wrestling. Ray is still involved sometimes, but it’s more in the shadows. He comes in and helps out whenever he can, but is mostly too busy coaching the San Antonio Junior Brahmas football team nowadays.

So, now you’re running the show?

    Yes. Basically, we hold a meeting just before a show to lock in a date the following month for our next show. Then, we contact the local wrestlers to see who’s available to work our show. When we get however many people we can get, then we put the card together and announce the show through flyers and electronic media such as Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, etc.
    We do the shows once a month. We’re trying to keep it to Sundays. It doesn’t always work that way. Our next show is Jun. 25. We’ve been out at Hooligan’s Bar & Grill at 1604 and Pat Booker Road. It’s a fun place.
What do you and Clint do outside of all this for just the two of you?
    We try to go down to Port Aransas as often as we can. We like to go to the beach. I like to fish, but him – not so much. It’s just something to relax for a while.

Do you have any pets?

    We have a rescue dog that is now 14 named Susie, and she’s getting pretty slow, but she’s still getting around. She’s a mutt. One of our friends was taking her to the Animal Defense League, and he stopped here to drop something off for Clint, and he said, “I’ve got to take this puppy to the shelter.” And I said, “You have a puppy? Can I see her?” And that was it.
    She was the most pitiful little white and brown thing. Her eyes were all matted and her nose was all runny. I said, “Where did you find her?” And he said, “Well, one of the houses up the road from us burned down a few nights ago, and we went up there to see if there was anything salvageable, and there she was.”
    I took her home, and next day, I immediately took her to the vet, because she was having trouble breathing, and it turned out she actually had distemper. I got her one night, and then she spent a week at the vet getting rid of the distemper. We’ve had her 14 years. She’s been a very good dog.

What are your future plans for the business?

    We’re actually doing pretty good. A lot of people have asked us why we don’t expand. We really don’t need to. We’ve been in this location for 20-odd years and everybody knows where we are.

What do you like best about being “Mrs. Boss”?
    It’s never dull. Ever! Every day is something different. You wouldn’t think so in a small business like this, but between the customers and the jobs that come in, it’s interesting. –mh

Need a Reprint?

Author Info
Mary Hazlett mary@constructionnews.net